We love sensory bins! Sensory bins are a great way to keep your child busy while helping them fine-tune their motor skills, inspire creativity and giving them the opportunity to learn something new. This chocolate Oobleck Sensory bin not only does all of that but it is also taste-safe!
What is Oobleck?
Oobleck is a substance that can mimic the qualities of a liquid or a solid. These type of substances are also known as Non-Newtonian Fluids. You can read more about Oobleck here.
For this sensory bin, we created an Animal Rescue Scenario where we had to rescue animals from the mud (chocolate Oobleck). We added some tape to make the rescue more of a challenge. Once the animals were rescued, we had to wash the mud off in the animal bath. The kids played for over an hour! There was definately a mess so I highly reccomend laying down a cloth or a plastic table cloth.
To make this Chocolate Oobleck Sensory Bin you will need:
Disclaimer: This site contains affiliate links to products. I may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no cost to you.
- Cacao Powder
- Animal Toys (if a squeaky toy please make sure to cover the hole with glue to prevent liquid from entering)
- 2 Bins
- Plastic Table Cloth
- Kitchen Spoons, Tongs, and anything else they can use to rescue the animals
- Masking Tape (Optional)
1. Start off by making the oobleck inside one of the bins.
Chocolate Oobleck “Mud” Recipe
- 1/4 Cup Cacao Powder
- 2 Cups Cornstarch
- 1 1/4 Cup Water
- Mix all ingredients together
2. Add the Animals into the bin and add some Masking Tape on top for a challenge
3. Fill the other bin with water
4. First have your child breakthrough or cut the tape. Then let them scoop and grab the animals using the kitchen tools in order to rescue the animals from the “mud”. Once they save the animals, have them wash off the “mud” in the water tub.
Loved this sensory bin? Don’t forget to share! And check out these other activities for kids: